Monday, December 5, 2011

How Can I Save More On My Natural Gas Heating Bill

High efficiency furnaces can save you a lot of money on your home heating bill when compared to an old inefficient furnace. Your old furnace will have an efficiency of about 60%. This means that 60% of the gas burnt in the furnace goes to heat the home and the remaining 40% is wasted. With a high efficiency furnace 90% to 97% of the fuel burnt is used to directly heat the home. This means that a saving of 35% or more will occur in your fuel cost.The following information is quoted directly from  Saskenergy

As a general rule, you will save 2% on your heating bill for every 1°C you turn down the thermostat overnight.  With a programmable thermostat to consistently lower your heat when you don’t need it, you could save up to $65 a year!
Save Even more Money
H i  g h   E  f  f  i  c i  e n c y   M  o t  o r
Electrical Motor cost per year*
Natural Gas cost per year*
*Based on average home use in Saskatchewan. Actual savings may vary according to
use. Electrical costs based on continuous operation of furnace motor during the winter.
Fuel rates as of August 1, 2010  Natural Gas  $0.2671 m3  Electric  $0.1061 kWh
Save up to $553 a year with an ENERGY
STAR qualified furnace with a brushless DC
motor. Not only will you realize natural gas
savings but electrical savings, too. High
efficiency motors operate efficiently and
economically under varying load conditions
while increasing the efficiency of your heating
and air conditioning system, resulting in
significant energy savings.  Your home will
have better air circulation, even temperature
distribution – plus reduced electrical costs.
How can I save more money?
One of the easiest ways to save energy and money is to install a programmable thermostat. You determine the settings for
your home and the programmable thermostat takes care of raising or lowering the temperature.
•  Clean or replace your furnace filter every 1-2 months. A dirty filter reduces airflow and forces the furnace to run
longer to heat your home.
•  Lower your thermostat by 4-5 degrees Celsius while you’re sleeping at night or when no one is at home.
•  Keep your furnace clean, lubricated and properly adjusted with annual maintenance. If your furnace is working at
peak efficiency, it will use less energy and cost less to operate.

The above material is quoted directly from Saskenergy

When your old furnace is in need of replacement it is highly recommended that you should replace it with a high efficiency furnace, specifically a high efficiency condensing gas furnace of 90% to 97% efficiency. not only will you save greatly on your home heating bill but you will also cut down on the polluting gases which are emitted into the environment.
See our website for more information about high efficiency furnaces 

No comments:

Post a Comment